In 2019 the Apple introduced the Sidecar MacOS Catalina and iPadOS 13. The feature lets you use your iPad to mirror or extend the display of the Mac, as if a second screen.
MacOS Catalina (10.15) version and MacOS iPad 13, both released in 2019, are required on Mac.
Other requirements include:
The Mac must not be sharing its internet connection.
Mac and iPad must be within 10 meters of each other.
Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Handoff features are all turned on.
The iPad must not be sharing its cellular connection.
Here’s a list of supported Mac devices.
- iMac 27-inch (late 2015 or newer)
- MacPro (2016 or newer)
- Mac mini (2018)
- Mac Pro (2019)
- MacBook Air (2018)
- MacBook (early 2016 or newer)
To use the Sidecar feature on your iPad, your tablet must support the first or second-generation Apple Pencil. These include:
- iPad Air (3rd generation
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- Apple Pencil (2nd generation):
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch
Click the AirPlay icon in the menu bar and select to connect with iPad
The iPad will now display an extension of the Mac screen;
If you want to mirror the screen, click again on the AirPlay menu (now a blue Sidecar rectangle) and select the option to mirror the screen.
Another way to access Sidecar is through System Preferences:
- Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your Mac
- Select System Preferences
- Click on Sidecar.
From this screen, you can connect and disconnect iPad from Sidecar, set the sidebar position, display or not the Touch Bar (even on Macs that do not have the component), and double-click the Apple Pencil.
The user can use iPad with Sidecar without connecting any wires, as long as they are at least 10 meters away. Using the iPad connected to your Mac will charge it while it is used as a second screen.
When Sidecar is on, a feature icon will appear on the iPad home screen to allow Apple tablet applications to be used normally. When switching to an iPad app, the Sidecar session is suspended; to reconnect it, simply return to the feature app.
There are two ways to move windows from Mac to iPad: just drag the window to the tablet or hover over the green button in the upper left corner of the window and tap the “Move to iPad” option.
You can use the Apple Pencil with the iPad Pro and other compatible iPad devices. The first time you use the Apple Pencil, remove the cover and connect it to the iPad Lightning connector.
When the Link button appears, press it.
Once you have linked the Apple Pencil, it will remain that way until you restart the iPad, activate Airplane mode, or link it to another iPad. You only have to link the Apple Pencil again when you want to use it.
You can use the Apple Pencil to write, highlight, and draw with the integrated apps and other apps from the App Store. With some apps, such as Notes, you can draw and make sketches with an Apple Pencil.
To draw or make sketches in the Notes app:
- Open Notes
- Press .
- To draw, press . If you don’t see, you should update your notes. To make sketches, press and then Add drawing.
- Start drawing or sketching. You can choose between several colors and drawing tools, and switch to the eraser if you make a mistake. When you draw or make sketches, you can tilt the Apple Pencil to shade the lines and press more to make them darker.
- If you draw near the edge of the screen with the Apple Pencil, iPadOS will not activate the Control Center, the Notification Center, or Multitasking. You can draw anywhere on the screen without being interrupted.
You can charge the Apple Pencil by plugging it into the iPad Lightning connector. You can also charge it with a USB power adapter if you use the charger adapter that included the Apple Pencil. The Apple Pencil will charge quickly when plugged into either of these two power supplies.
To see how much battery the Apple Pencil has left, check the widget view on the iPad.
- You can replace the tip of the Apple Pencil if it is worn or damaged. The box contains a spare tip, and you can buy more if necessary. Simply unscrew the one you have and screw the new one.
- If the Apple Pencil does not link to the iPad
- Restart the iPad and try to link it again.
- Go to Settings> Bluetooth and check that this option is enabled.
- On the same screen, look for your Apple Pencil on My devices if you find it, press . Then press Skip device.
- Connect the Apple Pencil to the iPad and press the Link button when it appears after a few seconds.
- If it does not appear, wait a minute while the Apple Pencil charges. Then disconnect it, reconnect it and wait until the Link button appears.
- If it still does not appear, contact Apple Technical Support.
The first-generation Apple Pencil works with the following iOS devices:
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad (6th and 7th generations)
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (1st and 2nd generations)
- iPad Pro 10.5 inch
- iPad Pro 9.7 inch
The second-generation Apple Pencil works with:
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch
Zipping and unzipping of files is now easy with the iPadOS and requires no third party app.
You can easily compress files by using the Files app on your iPad.
- Launch the Files app and go to the folder containing the files you want to zip.
- Click on Select on the top right.
- Mark the files you’d like to zip.
- Tap More on the bottom right and tap Compress.
- An Archive.zip file will display within that same folder and contain the files you zipped.
You can see how easy it is to zip files on iPadOS, and unzipping them is even simpler.
- Launch the Files app and go to the zipped file you want to unzip.
- Click on the file.
- The file will then unzip and turn into a folder within that same folder. Click to access the contents.
- Launch the Files app on your iPad
- Touch the Browse tab at the bottom of the Files app.
- Touch the More button (three-dot icon) at the top of the display.
- Touch Scan Documents.
- Place your document in the viewer and touch the Capture button.
- You can decide to drag the corners to modify it, touch to Retake or touch to Keep Scan.
- If there’s another page you want to scan, you can just capture it on the next screen.
- When you’re done scanning, tap “Save.”
- Select a location for your scan and touch “Save.”
- You can also scan a document within a location like iCloud Drive or On My iPad in the Files app.
- Tap the More button (three-dot icon) at the upper left and then follow the same steps above.
- Launch the Safari app on your iPad and visit any web page of your choice and let the page get loaded completely, else, it will not be able to save full page as PDF later on.
- Now press and hold the Home button and Side button at once to capture a screenshot on your iPad in Safari.
- You can now see the preview of the screenshot taken on the bottom left corner, tap on the screenshot and then tap on Full Page option that’s available on the right top corner.
- Next, tap on “Done” and then select Save PDFto Files” option.
- Select any of the folders from ‘‘On My iPad’’ or ‘‘iCloud Drive’’. If the desired folder isn’t available, create one and then tap on “Save.” This will save your PDF.
- If you want to share the PDF via Email or iMessage, after the third step, tap on the share button option available on the top right corner.
- Once done, select iMessage/Mail or any other platform, enter the recipient, and tap on “Send.” That’s it!
Content blockers offer a one-trick solution for prohibiting ads like popups and banners from stacking on websites you visit. They can likewise shield you from online tracking by deactivating cookies and scripts that sites try to load.
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap Safari.
- Under General, touch Content Blockers.
- To activate content blockers, flip the switches to the ON position.
Note: Content Blockers option doesn’t appear in Safari’s settings until you’ve installed a third-party content blocker from the App Store.
- Open Safari on your iPad and go to the site in question.
- Tap the “aA” icon in the upper left corner of the screen to uncover the Website View menu.
- Tap Turn Off Content Blockers.
- If you only need to disable content blockers for a particular website, tap Website Settings in the Website View menu, and afterward flip the switch next to Use Content Blockers to the OFF position.
- When you try to download a file on Safari, a little download icon is displayed in the upper right corner of the screen.
- You can tap the icon to check the status of your downloads, and tapping the magnifying glass next to the file will open its folder location.
- By default, files downloaded in Safari are stored in the “Downloads” section of the Files app. However, you can customize the storage location: go to the Settings app, select the Safari section, and tap Downloads. From this screen, you can select to store downloaded files in iCloud Drive, on your iPad, or in another location based on your personal preference.
- The Downloads screen in Safari settings has an option to “Remove download list items automatically after one day” (the default), “Upon successful download,” or “Manually.”
- Open the Settings app
- Tap Safari
- Select Downloads. You would then be able to choose one of the recommended places or tap “Other” to pick another registry. Third-party apps might have the option to support this, so if your favored location is turned gray out, you may need to hang tight for a future app update.
- Launch the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap Safari.
- Locate the section tagged “Tabs” and select “Close Tabs.”
- The default will be manual. Select the timeframe you want your tabs to close automatically.
Manually: Safari won’t automatically close tabs.
After One Day: All open tabs will be cleared after 24 hours.
After One Week: All open tabs will be cleared in seven days’ time.
After One Month: All open tabs will be cleared following a month.
- Launch the Settings app
- Tap Privacy.
- Find the Advertising option situated at the bottom of the page, and then search for the Limit Ad Tracking option.
- Flip the Limit Ad Tracking option to on or off base on preference.
- It ought to be noticed that you can generally re-enable ad tracking by following the means above, yet flipping the relevant options on by tapping them to turn them green (on account of location-based tracking) and dark (for Limit Ad Tracking).